Friday, August 27, 2010

Day 2: 6.30am to 2pm - Part Three

I saw a man with a long beard and wearing a mini skirt digging into a garbage bin and pulling out a newspaper. After paying 30 cents to use the restroom behind the famous currywurst stand next to the Davidwache (police station) and Burger King, I went along the Hamburger Berg (side street to the Reeperbahn). Apart from the pubs that never close it seems, there was a lot of construction work going on. Workers throwing out literally everything from a room that had once been a bar, I guess. There were two men sitting in front of the big pile of old and broken furniture and other stuff, one in a chair and the other one on his wheeled walker. They were speaking English in kind of a weird high-pitched voice... and I didn't know what to make of it quite honestly...

I took a turn into Simon-von-Utrecht street, which runs parallel to the Reeperbahn. On a matress on the sidewalk a guy was sleeping and he didn't move a bit in three hours when I came by there the second time. A nun was walking in the same direction as I did, probably needed to get somewhere near the church or so...I felt really quiet and calm. An amazing sound then occured, which I had heard a million times before, but somehow it struck me at this moment in time. It was the sound of a bird out in the middle of the street suddenly flapping its wings and flying away...the sound somehow startled me, I don't know why, and I was amazed how loud it actually was. I had never noticed that before.

After having a quick doner at the Reeperbahn, I returned to Hans Albers Platz at about 12.30pm. A couple of young women in mini skirts were strolling past and taking a turn into Herberstrasse. I figured they were going to work. Another woman with a see-through top and a black bra went down the same alley with her little dog, saying hi to the woman who was working at the Reitclub bar.

The bass rumble of an old airplane with propellers flying by...

A small sign of trouble, the first one since my first visit, occured when a delivery guy brought a load of cases with empty bottles to his truck and a teenager had a look at them and tried to nick a couple of bottles to get the money for them at the supermarket. 'What the hell do you think you're doing?' the delivery guy shouted across the place, which truly rattled the young guy in his bones. He suddenly became so small and so nervous...something I guess all of us have experienced when we got busted doing something forbidden...the delivery guy came with huge steps. 'Take your hands off!' The young guy innocently spread his arms, but couldn't utter a single word. When the delivery guy saw that the boy didn't actually take anything, he just uttered a quick 'Get lost!' and the boy ran into a side alley, never to be seen again.

I heard parts of an argument between what I thought was a mother and her daughter coming from a building with a couple of open windows. Then a guy turned up, half bald, sweaty, dressed in a dirty green shirt and darker green pants. He was heading towards one of the benches whilst muttering something to himself: 'Soon I sit. Soon I sit and then and then I'm done.' That was what I heard. Having sat down, he greeted someone else with a quick 'Moin' and told himself that beer tasted a lot better when you have it with a cigarette.

Another guy arrived with his dog and they started talking. The guy in green told him something about his job, but I couldn't figure out what it was he did. He also talked to the dog once in a while and the dog seemed quite happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment