Thursday, September 2, 2010

The Magic Moment never comes...


While I was staying in Hamburg again last week, I kept thinking about our meeting with the 2nd year MA students at the first residential and a conversation I had with one of them. He told me about his observational research and how he kept strolling around at his location and then quite late into it...BAM..he got his idea for the script. In my mind I interpreted this as this kind of 'magic moment' when suddenly and out of nowhere you see something and have an idea what you're gonna write about. This, however, hadn't happened in my experience up to that point...and it hasn't happened during my observational research days either. I kept hoping that maybe during these five days, it might occur to me once also, but it didn't.

In my experience (and I don't know how it is with you guys...), I was never blessed with a magic moment like this and I also believe only very few of us are actually. With me, it mostly is an experience that provides me only with little bits and pieces that, for themselves, might seem very dull and boring sometimes and only become interesting if I keep my head down and take one of those bits and go down one road which might lead me to an intersection and to another road and so on. Most times, I even have to go back again and take another one of those bits and pieces or put two of them together and do the same thing all over again and see what happens...basically this is how I do it...but that's the interesting part of it all, isn't it?

So far, I've gathered a seemingly endless sum of bits and pieces. Let's see what I can come up with!

No comments:

Post a Comment