Monday, September 6, 2010

Pigeons eating shattered glass...

An image that has stuck with me somehow since day 3 of my research. I arrived at the Albers Platz in the evening shortly before eight o'clock. Basically, the first thing that I saw on this day was a dead pigeon lying on the ground right next to the place where I usually liked to sit down. I carried on and took a seat on one of the beer benches near Hans Albers Klause then and started my observation there. The thing with the pigeon went a bit further, though. When the prostitutes started their day at 8, one of them saw the pigeon as well. It was lying in the spot were she usually stood all night and tried to catch some fish. So, she took a stick and shoved it along a couple of yards towards the tree - a lot to the amusement and disgust of her colleagues. Then, they all went about their usual daily business.

It kept me thinking, though, to how the pigeon might have died and an image occurred. What if the pigeon was searching for food and accidentally caught a piece of shattered glass? Of which there were lying around millions in this place from all the partying! Or what if it had been a young and stupid pigeon and had deliberately eaten one, even though her parents had told it not to? Just like the 'hand on the hot plate'-allegory that my parents used to tell me when I was little: What if I told you this plate was hot? The dumb decision would be to go ahead and touch it anyway, to find out the hard way for yourself. Of course then, the wise decision being to listen to your parents and thus not touching it!

But this rings a bell somewhere, doesn't it? From somewhere like this:

The Forbidden Fruit! In the end, don't we all have to find out for ourselves!?

So far, 'pigeons eating shattered glass' sounds cool for a title to me. I just don't know really what to make of it yet or if this image has legs for a story, but the 'forbidden fruit' idea seem quite enticing, doesn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment